News & About
We are pleased to announce that Barnswood has a County Approved COVID RA for “Yellow” stage and so is open for restricted outdoor camping. Read the Yellow Covid RA here and how we plan to accommodate you here
A brief list of changes that you may notice since your visit last year;
New things you will see
- Gas tanks and septic tanks fenced off
- Brand new Toilet Block 1 – 5 unisex cubicles
- New alarm system in all residential buildings
- New area for collecting altar fires from and returning to (COVID compliant)
- Designated hammock areas
- Old office turned into a reception for all visitors
- New signage
- New entrance gate
Things no longer there
- Beaver play area (replacement being planned)
- Low ropes course
- Grotty Toilet Block 1 (new one delivered)
- Some historical campsites
- The extra campfire circle by North Activity Sites (the old Rudyards)
- refuse bins (until reasonable usage recommences, we have not renewed our collection contract)
Clarifications around usage
- The toilet in the warden’s lodge is available for all
- The kitchen in the warden’s lodge is available for all leaders personal use
- Personal toilets must NOT be emptied into campsite’s flushing toilets if any chemicals are used (if chemicals are used a greenfield or lightweight Expedition permit is required, and the waste must be taken offsite)
- All leaders must operate to all the current Scout Association cards (yellow, green, white, purple) .
- Kitchen ovens and fridges are to be cleaned by users. If not left in a fit state for the next user, the booking deposit will not be returned, instead will be used to pay professional cleaners.
Barnswood has undergone a transformation during lockdown and the information throughout this website has not yet fully caught up. So users should only use it as indicative of what is available.
Barnswood Scout Camp site is set in the Staffordshire Moorlands, just outside of Cheshire and is the District scout camp site for Macclesfield and Congleton Scouts, Barnswood is open to all Scouting, Guiding and Youth groups for camps of all sizes.
Barnswood Scout Camp Site is 63 acres in size and consists of mixed woodland with 22 open grassed camping sites and a selection of buildings.
In addition to the camping barnswood offers 4 buildings which are for hire to groups for more information about our camping check out campsite section and information on the accommodation can be found at indoor accommodation for hire section.
Barnswood also has a selection of activity areas such as our Low Ropes course and our Professional Orienteering Course check out our onsite activities section for more information and activity options.
Barnswood has fantastic on site facilities with 2 camp fire circles one under cover, alter fires available for open fires, also three toilet blocks on site 2 of which have male and female hot shower facilities for more detail check out our facilities section.
The hot showers are fantastic especially if you’ve taken advantage of Rudyard Lake and the water activities it can offer which barnswood overlooks.
Barnswood is in an ideal location for many off site activities it’s ideal for hiking groups as it’s surround by some of the best walks that Staffordshire and Cheshire have to offer, the roaches is only down the road which is a fantastic for outdoor climbing and bouldering.
for those that want to go to Alton Towers Barnswood is only a short journey away to find out the many other fantastic activities that barnswood is near too check out our links page.
If you have any question or queries that our section to the left don’t answer please contact us.